Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Clarification and explanation

I want to expand on my comment about the Magnepan recommendation for active biamping.
Magnepan spends a good amount of time and effort to optimize the OEM crossover before committing to production. It is unlikely that an amateur audiophile, like myself, would improve on the design. Therefore the ideal active crossover should simulate as closely as possible the OEM XO.
OTOH, the recommendation for active biamping is a compromise brought about by the limited function of the active crossovers available at the time production of the speakers commences. Most commercial crossovers have limited flexiblity. In particular the Bryston 10B cannot produce a 4th order LR without modification of the unit by Bryston and almost as important the choice of crossover points in the region of interest is limited to 200 Hz (perfect for the HP filter) and 300 Hz (close but no cigar for the LP filter).
If you want to do it right, your friend has a few choices:
1) Send the unit back to Bryston for modification
2) DIY - cheap and not overly difficicult to do with modest soldering skills using modules from Rod Elliott
3) Marchand XM-44 - the appropriate modules can be readily supplied by Marchand (cost about $50 for the 4 required modules). About $1000 new and includes the modules.
4) miniDSP (others can comment on the best unit - cost is $200-500 depending on the unit). Very flexible.
5) First Watt B4 (I believe it can give you 275Hz which is close enough to 280 Hz) for about $1500.
#3 and #5 come up for resale from time to time.
Finally a disclosure: I do have a Marchand for sale on Audiogon so I will refrain from making any recommendation about the various choices. I have tried to be as objective as possible in my comments.

"Our head is round in order to allow our thoughts to change direction." Francis Picabia

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Clarification and explanation - neolith 15:26:42 10/12/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.