Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Tympani T-IV owners manual?

I don't think we appreciate today what the TIV was to the high end audio community when it came out. Harry Pearson was gluing CLSs to Tympani bass panels, Infinity was making their QLS and other odds and ends planar drivers that ultimately became the EMIT and EMIM. Levinson was stacking Quad ESL 57s and adding on decca ribbons and hartley subs Wilson was making gigantic contraptions of multiple boxes with weird multidirectional electrostatic tweeters, Apogee had just shocked the world with its Full Range planar and these legendary speaker systems were selling at just short of a house.
Then came Magnepan and hit everyone with a resounding smack with the TIV and its ribbon tweeter for the price of an economy car and performance nearing that of the best high resolution speakers. The value proposition was unheard of and people piled up to buy them. Reviewers who were in top ESLs from Soundlabs and Acoustat grumbling about the missing bottom octave and lack of SPL and dynamics or waiting to save up for the big Apogee and one of the new gigantic class A amps that could drive them got a TIV instead.
ARC and Cardas are just a couple of component and electronics makers who used the TIV for their reference system in developing an entire generation of products.. .
I would not be surprised if the initial wave of TIVs did sell 1450 units as it had no competition at all at its price point.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.