Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Magnepan XOvers

I have been triamping with nothing left of the original crossover.

Many have done so with a digital crossover or analog both active and passive (PLLXO). I run an active bass low pass and a passive line level XO for midrange and tweeter. I occasionally switch back to biamping (like at the moment, with upgraded caps).

If you run all digital and you are ok with less than perfect (but still very good) DACs then the DEQX or TACT system and lower cost DIY board based DSP ones can provide both XO and room correction along with time alignment of your drivers. There is the Behringer DCX2496 which is full function but not an audiophile unit. Other pro audio digital crossovers are available but you are paying for road ready construction and features you are unlikely to need

In the analog sphere there are the Pass Labs XVR which is fully adjustable and his lower cost First Watt B4. There is also Marchand which will build you a custom crossover with changeable cards. He can imitate the stock crossover in active electronic form. Bryston produces the 10B crossover in a few configurations.
There are pro audio crossovers that vary in SQ Rane and Ashly (4th order) produce the best ones. Older Ashly units are available in 12db and 18db slopes. The latter sound much better with their ancient electrolytic caps replaced with modern low ESR ones.
DIY project boards are available from Rod Elliot and a few others. And if you do a passive line level XO it can be built quite cheaply with boutique parts.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Magnepan XOvers - Satie 22:16:49 04/14/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.