Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Static Warning

This is a heads-up for those Maggie owners living in dry winter climates, eg. the Canadian Prairies and U.S. Great Plains. Last weekend I replaced my Tympanis with my MG 12's. After packing and moving the Tympani boxes around I connected the 12's. The music was sounding good but of course I had my tape-measure and was tweaking their position as we Maggie owners love to do. I had the end of the tape close to my metal rack and Wham!!
The preamp ramped the volume to Max with the expected distortion. I finally recovered and hit the power button but it was too late.

The damage was limited to 2 blown fuses. Needless to say any thoughts of fuse bypass have disappeared. After talking to my local dealer I learned that this is quite common in our climate. He has seen it happen with Bryston, and Boulder pre-amps and now we can add my Bel Canto to the list. Apparently a spark of static is all it takes with some of digital volume controls.

While not on the damage scale of his washing machine escapade, Sparky's tape-measure picture reminded me to post this caution. Be careful with that measuring tape Mark!!!

Edits: 02/10/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.