Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: I did just that seven years ago

Sorry, just re-read your post more carefully and I think I misunderstood sound isolation and sound proofing for also trying to have a less reflective room. I fully agree with the notion of sound proofing (we did that through double studding and double sheetrock and heavy oak doors). I also did a wooden floor over concrete and added thick wool carpeting.

As to room depth and pulling the 3.7's off the back wall, I think you do have enough space (but that's where I'd be tempted to run the REW software to test where you are likely to create reinforcing reflections). What I tried to do was to put a lot of sound dispersing materials behind the speakers -- open shelving with lots of books that are randomly pulled forward or backward to create additional diffusion.

My unique problem was that my three other walls are nothing but glass, floor to ceiling (but they can be opened so I can also effectively have no side or rear walls at all). That made for a lot more compromises and careful construction plus window coverings...
SD

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.