Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Building a room for my Magnepans

Good evening all. Its been quite some time since I've posted on this fine forum.... frankly its been quite sometime since I've even heard my Maggie 3.6s.My wife and I have been in the process of building our new home for roughly 2yrs. Now that the house is built I am in the process of finishing the basement where I have built the basement around a sound room that is suited for my speakers. I contacted the fine folks at Magnepan and asked what is the recommended room size for my 3.6 speakers and unfortunately they didn't really have a set ratio or figure for me. They did say their Dad has a 20' x 30' room with 10' ceilings that sounded amazing with their 20.1s..... taking their 3 x 2 x 1 ratio into consideration..... I also called the boys at Cardas, thankfully some of those guys actually run 3.6s in their systems. They gave me some figures to work with as well and some pointers and I went to work.

I am sharing this with you guys because I am sure we all share the same passion in the world of planar speakers... I am also interested in some pointers if y'all would be so kind since I know there are some veteran planar guys on here.

My room:

Dimensions 22'4" x 13'11"x9ft ceiling.(One longwall is skewed 1" in the back for sound waves to decay quicker) so my room is 14' wide in the back fyi. Also keep in mind my 9' ceiling will drop a few inches if I put in the false floor. Current floor is concrete since its in the basement.

Room is 8" on center studs on all 4 sides.

I plan to use roxull sound proofing on all 4 walls and ceiling

The door is solid and sealed

I am putting a false floor in the room, I am toying with how tall to make the floor. Perhaps 2x4s laying on their side then subfloor adhered to that.... but that is still to be determined.

I am planning carpet for the flooring..... does anybody object??

Strictly Vinyl no digital.... I am sure there are plenty that object, but thats how i roll :)

I am taking the purist approach for this room. I decided to only have my two Magnepan speakers and a couch in this room. There will be nothing else in there.(except bass traps, wall treatments etc) My TT and amps/Preamps will all be right outside the room. Therefore I will not hear amp fans, stylus contact etc. Just my speakers.

I am using LED can lights that are very flat to roll with the ceiling so sound waves will have minimal obstructions.

That about sizes it up. The room at this very moment is framed in and wired. I hope to get the basement drywalled within a month or so. The false floor is not in yet. Again. feel free to give me pointers or let me know where I have gone wrong haha. Thanks for reading guys, I envy all of you who can listen to their Planars right now. I am jealous.

Thanks,

Jim

My Pronouns are: Conservative, Patriot and Two Turntables

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Topic - Building a room for my Magnepans - TwoTurntables 17:05:14 02/08/15 (85)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.