Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: The 20.7s are around 160 pounds each.. OUCH! nt

Yes indeed and Ouch, 'my back'!

Should you not already know about these:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f12-headphones-and-speakers/magnepan-3-7-i-give-7138/index2.html

<"Floating" Maggies

In terms of mounting Maggies (or any other loudspeakers), my perspective was changed forever when I first tried "floating" mine on sets of well made roller bearings.

I'd always heard loudspeakers must be rigidly mounted to perform their best. After hearing Maggies "afloat", then hearing several other speakers in on-vs.-off demos of some Townshend Seismic Speaker Stands (a commercial way to "float" speakers), I realized it is the drivers that must be rigidly mounted on the baffle from which they launch their waves, not the body of the speaker rigidly mounted to the room in which it resides.

I'd used roller bearings under other gear and found consistent, repeatable benefits in every area of audio (and video) I know how to describe. I was not prepared for just how much impact they'd have on the performance of loudspeakers. As with the Townshend product, which accomplishes essentially the same thing (i.e. isolation), I would not have believed the differences had I not experienced them for myself. I described having the speakers standing on the floor as having them "bound and gagged" by comparison.

After putting the speakers back directly on the floor for comparison, a James Taylor recording sounded like James had a bit of a sore throat and the strings on his Martin needed changing. Replacing the roller bearing platform restored James crystal clear voice and the shimmer of the strings on his Martin.

And yes, bass extension and "punch" are two of the many benefits. But I still use a pair of subs below 30 Hz. And the subs too are "afloat".>

Perhaps Magnepan

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: The 20.7s are around 160 pounds each.. OUCH! nt - Norman M 08:17:23 12/10/13 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.