Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Another First Reflection Trap (FRT) Adventure : Quasi-Ambiophonics

@JBen:

You said:

"LOL! I do take my time testing some stuff. BTW, I did run "Hotel California" during that square room test. It was nothing like I am used to. It does remind me that, at the time, I though that perhaps I could have applied heavy damping to the "new wall" behind my seat. I have learned to respect what happens in the space behind my seat, for it helps those recordings that capture ambience and fuller soundfield. It also seems to help with dynamics a little. Come this Christmas, I know that the Christmas tree will bring a little more than a shade for the usual presents. It always helps overall SQ."

In the FWIW department, I have tried putting absorption on the wall behind the listening seat, and I have to rip it away. There is a huge difference between delayed reflections coming from behind and NO reflections coming from behind. Sounds totally unnatural. And, it's my theory that human evolution has conditioned our hearing to be able to deal with early reflections (less than 10 milliseconds from the initial impulse) coming from behind differently than those coming from the front or side. Think of seeing an acoustic guitarist in a fairly small club, and you sit along the rear wall. You'd just be aware that you're in the back, but the impact on sonics should be minimal.

Having said that, I would kill for a larger space to set up my MMGs, because I believe you when you say that the space behind you allows for a rich tapestry of later reflections to help solidify the reality of the performers in the room.

FRTs do help in my box, though!

And OldGuy42, what's your great idea? I'm all ears!

MG-bert

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.