Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Tympani 1d ad

OK, read the ad (whew!). My sense is that it's legit. He's not talking about a partnership with Magnepan, what he's done is sent a pair of 1-D's to Magnepan to be refurbished and rebuilt.

They rebuild the drivers, from scratch if necessary, and repaint, put on new socks, otherwise restore them. Amazing work. I'm guessing that they had some kind of problem -- delam, etc. -- and so he decided to have them rebuilt rather than selling them as junkers. And if you're doing that, it makes sense to ship them directly from the factory to the purchaser (and to let the buyer choose the sock color!).

I can confirm that they've discussed re-releasing old Tympanis, or new ones, so that rings true. Also that they'd be expensive, owing to the fact that they're essentially three pairs of Maggies.

Of course, it would still be a good idea to check out the seller, and check with Magnepan.

One point -- he seems to be mistaken about the efficiency of the 1-D's. According to the table, it's 93dB/10W/6' @500Hz, while the IVa (which is apparently more efficient than the IV) is listed as 87dB/1W/m @500Hz. The table graciously translates the 1-D's efficiency to 85.6dB/1W/1m, which is a bit lower than the the IVa's.

So could be legit, whether it's a good deal or not depends on the final selling price, and, of course, whether you want a pair of 1-D's. That really would depend on need, room, and budget. But as he points out, these are Maggies that really do rock, and do home theater, as well, with no need to fear for the ribbon. The Tympanis just have a big speaker impact that the single panels don't, though I gather from what Wendell says that adding DWM's in a large room can provide a Tympani-like experience.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.