Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: IIIa Foil Project Sucess!

You'll be able to use the tweeters for surround but only after you get the Neo 8's and free up your IIIa's. Then you'd have 1D bass + Neo 8 mid + IIIa ribbon in front, and IIIa bass/mid + 1D tweeter in the surrounds. You might well be able to get away with using the IIIa's internal crossover for that. Not the 1-D's, since it's only two way.

Great that you got the measurement stuff. You want to measure around your listening area. Put the mic where your head would be, pointing up. Once you've rough things in, I suggest you take several spaced measurements to the left and right of your listening position. But not too far. The objective here is to separate the effects of room reflections from the response of the speakers themselves. You'll find that the response changes radically with mic position because of interference with reflections -- comb filtering and room resonances.

I assume your primary goal is to match levels of the drivers and get the crossovers right. Once you've done that, you may want to trim the overall response and reduce bass modes. Typically, you want a 4-6 dB downtilt for the overall response curve. Then reduce the irregularities in the bass, but don't at any point increase the bass output beyond a couple of dB, deep nulls can't be EQ'd out, you'll just waste power and overdrive the speakers if you try. Above maybe 250 Hz, I wouldn't try EQ in this configuration, except again to set an overall target curve. It isn't simple, what your ear hears will not be quite what you're measuring, which is room response. At higher frequencies, the ear is more sensitive to on-axis response. With time, as you refine the system and use more sophisticated software, you can try taking gated driver measurements and generating some more sophisticated curves. But for now I'd focus on crossover, levels, and bass modes.

BTW, keep in mind that the ear doesn't interpret the graph the way your eye does. Otherwise, may be surprised by how rough the 1/24 octave measurement is. The general rule is that it's more sensitive to broad peaks than narrow ones, more sensitive to positive-going peaks than dips, and most sensitive to aberrations in the midrange. The narrow dips from comb filtering are primarily used to construct a sense of space.

EDIT -- Just wanted to add that the ideal room approach is to set up carefully, and then EQ what you can't fix with careful positioning and treatment. You may want to get the crossovers and driver levels first, then experiment some with positioning and treatment, then go back to do the bass EQ. Since this involves not just bass but imaging and they never seem to be best in the same location, physical setup isn't easy!

Edits: 06/18/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.