Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: IIIa Foil Project Sucess!

I think parallel to the back wall is ideal, with a bit of a fold in the middle as in the manual. That may not even be necessary if you're using them as subs. If you have them within about a foot of the side walls, you'll get a bass boost. This is important since you're removing the tweeter panel. I'm guessing that in your small room you'll end up with too much bass but you can equalize that out in software.

Keep in mind though that they have to be a half-integral multiple of a wavelength from the fronts at the crossover point, otherwise you'll get a dip. However, if your software allows you to adjust the timing of the drivers you can put them at any distance and dial it in. Then what you'll want to do is bring the woofer in time with the midrange, which will actually mean delaying the IIIa's. You can do this with test signals, by ear, or just by measuring the distance between them, each foot they are behind the IIIa's is about a millisecond of delay, as measured on a line from your listening position to the lateral center of the 1-D's and IIIa's respectively.

I don't know which side is positive or if the models are even phased the same way. Experimentation is in order, try it both ways and if they're out of phase you'll hear or measure a dip at the crossover point.

Edits: 06/02/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.