Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: IIIa Foil Project Sucess!

The 1D's will definitely sound better for bass than the IIIa's and you can use them with a single-pole crossover. The only reason I suggested the sub idea was that you still have the IIIa woofer panel there, which puts the 1-D woofers pretty far away from the midrange. And they really want to be close if you're crossing over that high. At 100 Hz, localization doesn't matter as much and the wavelength is about 10' so you won't have trouble with lobing if the woofers aren't by the midrange. It will also diffract more easily around the IIIa's if you have the 1-D's behind. Ultimately, I think you want to go with the 1-D woofers, Neo 8 midrange, and IIIa tweeters up front, which leaves the 1-D tweeter and IIIa woofer/mid for surrounds.

Also, you can use the 1-D's behind the mid-tweeter (or IIIa's) in an arrangement similar to the Tympani IVa split arrangement which I'll be using, it's great for small rooms. I do expect to have to equalize down the bass in mine, but that will just give me lower distortion, more headroom, and more extension!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.