Planar Speaker Asylum

RE: Lovin my MMG's, except.....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Planar Speaker Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

Well, it's difficult to get the drum sound right on any playback equipment. Sometimes it's the recording. But, that said, my MMG's can hit pretty hard - especially my biamp'ed once driven by Crown xti2000 Amps - I've been able to hit 113 dB peaks (~1000 Watts) at 2 meters away from the panels. Note however, that a real drum kit rim shot will reach to the high 120's at 2 meters. - and that's with a band limited (48kHz sampling) precision sound meter (B&K Type 2270) cevice doing the measurement.

I use a couple of sub's on my biamp system as well. crossovers at 80 and 1100Hz.

There are many "Box" loudspeaker systems that do better on Drums - and the 3.6's and 20.1's (not yet in my house) seem to have more impact.

Sometimes I think that a panel speaker that all parts and not driven equally (note the tuning dots & look back or search my post on MMG Intensity Plots) are more destructive to impulses than they could be. kinda makes sense. But the MMg's are excellent audiophile vale for the money - because of their room friendlyness. Oh and as another poster commented - not too much absorption please.

Three most important things in Audio reproduction: Keep the noise levels low, the power high and the room diffuse.

Follow Ups: