Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: IIIa Foil Project Sucess!

I haven't used Pure Vinyl but I assume you should be able to attenuate the sound in software, so don't need an attenuator between the DAC and the amp. That will allow you to get the level exactly where you want it in software. If you eventually discover that you're running the DAC a bit low you can add an attenuator and use that instead to take advantage of the full bit depth. (I'll assume that they're using a longer word for internal arithmetic so rounding error isn't a problem here.)

If you're planning ultimately to use a PLLXO, you don't want FIR filters anyway, you want IIR filters, since they correspond more closely to the filters you'll be using in your PLLXO. As I recall, Pure Music had a limited selection, so unless they've changed that you may face some limitations in your choice of slopes. Where you can do first order I'd go with that but I remember that Satie said the IIIa's have a resonance that precludes that so unless you go the Neo route you'll need a sharper filter on the IIIa woofer. For that, really, an FIR filter would be better but you could just go with whatever Magnepan used for an LPF since the woofer is the same, and then it's a fair bet that Magnepan's choice for a HPF will still work with the foil -- you'll no for sure when you take mesurements.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.