Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

IIIa Foil Project Sucess!

I finally got my cables built, the speakers moved into my living room, and the mid and low panels hooked up to a Rotel 1077 S and A Crest CC5500. Both speakers go through a TDM active crossover. I am still experimenting with crossover points and it will take a bit of tweaking to get them dialed in, but what everyone has been waiting for, and myself included, is a report on the quality of sound using foil for the mids. I would say at this point that it is an outstanding success! I am more than pleased I am pleasantly surprised. Unfortunately I do not have the vocabulary to express what these sound like, other than to say that they sound great. Another gap in the overall sound stage has been filled. The setup now is that I am using my Tympani 1-D's tweeters, the IIIa mids and the IIIa lows. I've noticed when playing with the crossover points, that the foil mids are able to handle quite a range. I think they might even qualify for use as a tweeter. I was surprised as well by the low panels. Although not quite as powerful as the 1-D's, they give them a run for the money. The bass is full and punchy when dialed in as well as it can be with the TDM. I still have to determine the correct crossover points and I could use some assistance with that. What is the best way to set up the crossover points? If I can figure that out then I could proceed with tweaking them and determining the exact crossover points so that we can proceed with the construction of a PLLXO which is what the original plan was. So chime in if you will as I am all ears, and for those of you that have given me assistance to this point a big THANK YOU!! Especially Satie who has answered a countless number of my emails and saved me from some embarrassing moments. Josh has also been very helpful giving me some excellent advice along the way. So many others have also given me such excellent advice and assistance. I feel as if this project was built by a band of brothers so to speak. We all join in a common interest and many here spend countless hours giving advice free of charge. This is an incredible group, and I am proud to be a part of it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - IIIa Foil Project Sucess! - computerman 14:49:26 05/13/12 (67)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.