Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: an exception

That would be conventional marketing wisdom -- never say that another company's product does something your product doesn't. But Wendell has never been much for conventional marketing, I think he prefers to upend things. In this case, maybe people are going to be saying "How can anyone be crazy enough to put a $3700 system against a $100,000 one"? And so they'll go listen, which is what both companies want.

I think it's a stroke of genius myself, since the two products really don't compete, any more than a Corvette competes with a Ferrari. An analogy might be an ad inviting you to test drive a Ferrari, then test drive a Corvette. In making that comparison, the implication would be that you'll be surprised by what the Corvette can do.

I don't think I would have included the 20.7 in the photo, though. After all, this is a competition between two on-wall products. I haven't heard either the 20.7 or the Wisdom, but if the reviews I've read are to be trusted -- and my experience with true ribbon tweeters vs. quasi-ribbons, an dipoles vs. boxes -- the 20.7 should be a better speaker for music. Technologically, the Wisdom is more a 1.7 on steroids than a 3.7 or 20.7. Better for home theater, perhaps, because a quasi-ribbon tweeter with a novel cooling scheme can produce much higher SPL's than a true ribbon, but is it going to have those true ribbon highs, both silky and detailed at the same time?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.