Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Maggie madness

I'm not convinced that sheer wattage is necessarily the way to go. I'm driving my Maggies with a 40 watt amp, but because this amp was well built, with extra care toward minimizing RF interferences, it sounds beautiful with Maggies. This amp somehow knows how to drive those behemoths. I've tried replacing it with beefy 200 watts amps, but they sounded awful in comparison.

I'm convinced one needs very high quality power amp when using Maggies. I don't think you can get away with a so-so budget power amp. At least I wasn't able to find one that could live up to the sound quality delivered by high end power amps. Wattage doesn't seem to matter as much as quality of components matters. Also, a high-end power cable driving that amp can make quite a difference.

But if we're talking bottom line, what really sold me on Maggies was when I heard the first demo, and realized that finally I can understand and get what were the singers intending when singing those lyrics. Hearing John Lennon singing "Ticket To Ride" and understanding, for the first time ever, what kind of scathing, sneering irony did he put into that song, made me realize that, unlike other speakers, it is only with Maggies that one can truly HEAR the music. I didn't care about the specs, or about the bass, etc., I just cared about the sheer musicality and faithfulness to life.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Maggie madness - magiccarpetride 11:16:25 03/26/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.