Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: In the wings... MMG LWingies

Hi John. Yes, in fact, the experiments were mostly done with the wingies folded back.

I actually started with tall wings that showed little difference in low frequency response if folded back versus flat. The issue was dispersion/imaging, when folded back. Anyway, I quickly dismissed them as causing too much bass boost in my room...also, for being too large.

Now, these were 12" wide which, at 12"x48", was too much wing area given my room config acoustics, as I figured out later. Eventually, I took a shot at the wingies (mini wings) concept. These lower but deeper versions, when folded back did not change imaging by all that much.

In the end, the total area of the Lwingies is about the same as the best fold-back wingie that I came up with for my room, in terms of frequency response.

Importantly, because I am staying with a Tweeter-In config, the best system imaging here is with a flat wing config. In other words, even though I could fold back the (now) 5.5x48 main wing, I don't want even the minor effect on imaging. I am getting a wide a soundstage with Tweeter-In that many types of rooms would need Tweeter-out to deliver...but it IS sensitive.

OTOH, if I placed the MMGs as Tweeter-Out, folding these 5.5x48 wings back did not make any objectionable difference on imaging {that I could perceive with the prototype).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: In the wings... MMG LWingies - JBen 21:45:32 03/25/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.