Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Maggie madness

I agree w/ your analysis, but I do not believe that high volume and deep bass demos are what sell Magneplanars. Most prospective buyers (below 20.x) are taken w/ the natural timbre of instruments and the human voice suspended three dimensionally between the speakers. Good tube electronics, even w/ modest power (less than 200 wpc) will produce this effect. However, even "good tube electronics" will cost substantially more than the speakers themselves. These buyers have never heard reproduced music sound like music and that's the magic that the dealer offers w/ a good set up. Most of them have heard high volume head banging bass at some venue or another, that's not the Magenpan "hook" IMHO. That real problem is that they get home and hook the speaker up to low quality SS and don't get anywhere near what the dealer offered them. Insofar as the 20.x speakers are concerned I believe that's a different buyer that Magnepan and the dealers are assuming has his/her own gameplan to match his/her deep pockets. Loss of bi-amping on the 3.7s was a marginal decision, but on the 20.7s a very poor decision in terms of amplification needs and resultant choices.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.