Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: In the wings... MMG LWingies

Thanks D!

It is removable in a manner that she can do it if I am not around. The left MMG extends too close to a door access. Most of the time it is not an issue. Sometimes it is.

On your other point, I am not a fan of equalizers if I can avoid it (not an enemy either, by a long shot). The main issue is with SACD/DSD. I don't allow any conversion back to digital after the player-native decoding to analog. That's the only way I get close-to-LP smoothness with DSD's detail and clarity. So, in my case, that mostly leaves acoustical EQ (room, positioning, etc.), xover tuning...and sheer luck.

Acoustic EQ has brought another benefit lately, though I was not really aiming for it at first. It tuning for the damn wingies things to work, I also was able to tune for better dynamics.

It is something that I had observed in the past but could not take advantage of before. Earlier on, that which had yielded better dynamics in some configurations, damaged other attributes. Now, suddenly, as I was tuning for the wingies, I was able to incorporate room tweaks that yield better dynamic impact. Actually, not just better but rather impressive for planars.

In fact, I was re-testing a few things today. In one instance, I had the MMGs on Razoring alone, no Stixbees. As long as I did not push the volume up too much and lost clarity, Razoring stayed very clear AND was able to do a little "hitting" on my clothing...even mildly shake the sofa.

In this case, the bulk of the dynamic content was not heavy bass but low mids and upper bass! If you consider that the highest peak only went to 88db but the impact was also felt in the upper 70s, this highlights something that I've always liked about Razoring. Namely, that its ability to enhance clarity in the upper bass and lower midrange also brings more potential for better dynamics in this range.

The most recent acoustic tweaks in my room -- needed for the LWingies to work -- simply helped to realize this potential better. So, I know that when the new LWingies setup -- along with Razoring & the original Stixbees -- rattled a few loose wood pieces behind me for the first time ever, the Razoring was doing its part of the job just fine. Sure, the subwoofer could do this far quicker, but not while being as clear. In any event, no level of judiciously applied electronic EQ did it in the past. It seems to be a system & room thing.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: In the wings... MMG LWingies - JBen 23:53:09 03/24/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.