Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Maggie madness

For example, he points out that using neodynium magnets to improve the efficiency would end up costing the customer more than a bigger amp would.

Boy, am I ever glad he's biased that way! I think he hit the sweet spot with his line of products and the philosophy and the strategy behind it. Affordable barrier to entry (pretty much anyone can afford $600 for MMGs), after which you stand to gain big improvements by doing rounds of upgrades. After which you can join the vibrant community and make extra rounds of improvement by tweaking the speakers -- stands, RF chokes, upgrade XO, razor them, heck, even gunn them!

Beautiful, well executed strategy. The only thing missing is dispersing the abrasive mythology constructed about Maggies which claims that these speakers cannot give sufficient dynamics in sound, as well as the allegedly weak bass. Both of which I could not, for the life of me, get convinced of buying into. I was doing a lot of comparisons between the top shelf dynamic speakers and my Maggies, and couldn't hear much difference (if any) between the ability of these speakers to deliver the slam and the punch and how my Maggies deal with dynamics (slam, punch, deep pumping bass).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.