Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Maggie madness

What is it with dealers? They must know that Maggies are more critical to setup than the other boxes they sell, yet they just stick them anywhere. I was helping my son look for HT speakers so we visited the two somewhat close-by high end audio hangouts. He needs a more traditional 5 box setup due to placement limitations, but he has heard my Maggies many times and knows how they are supposed to sound.

The store that sells Maggies has the 3.7s in sort of an open hallway aiming across the width with no side walls. They have the 1.7s in a rectangular room but those are not placed well either in my opinion. In both cases they are running Moon integrated amps with low end music servers, which (sorry to Moon fans) sound thin, likely due more to the setup than anything else. My son asked "Why do the 3.7s sound like crap? Your setup is really sweet". I fully agreed on both counts.

To address the OP's topic, we also heard Focal Stella Utopia IIIs ($90K) and some Wilson Sophias ($18k) that day. Not tempted. The Focals just sounded huge but with a wierd soundstage. The Wilsons actually sounded better than the monster Focals IMHO, but not better than Maggies, and I'll bet the 20.7s would seal that argument if set up correctly. I also have applied serious money in supporting equipment to bring out the best of my Maggies. They do exploit quality electronics as well as any and more than most.

Edits: 03/23/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.