Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Seriously considering III's over my MMG's...good move?

Can't identify with the MMGs since I haven't heard them, But I'm a big IIIA fan. So much so, I have several pair.:o

One pair in fact, I drove all the way to N Texas from near Chicago, to pick up a couple years ago. These were about $550 on Ebay I think, and I was prepared to do some delam work on them, but just haven't got to it. Socks are off and new socks are here along with the Maggie glue from the factory. Just gotto get to it sometime.

In the mean time, the first pair of IIIAs I ever purchased are just sitting right now, pushed into a back corner, unused, because I recently made a heck of a deal on Ebay a few weeks back on a pair 12 yr old Cherry rail, black cloth 3.6Rs. They are a beautiful speaker and they sound good, too. I've been losing some sleep over these 3.6s a bit lately, because I just love how they sound. Not a big change, but they do sound a bit smoother, silkier, just a tad mobetta than the IIIAs they replaced. Which is to be expected. But I'm sure had I put more effort into the IIIAs, they could sound real similar. In fact, they do sound real similar, just not as buttery. I'm running a pair of more recently factory rebuilt IIIAs as my surrounds. I can't think of any other setup that would give as realistic an experience in a home theater. And one of my favorite things to do is pop in a concert DVD, such as Diana Krall Live In Paris, Nora Jones Live in New Orleans, any Clapton/Cream concert DVD, of which I think I have all (these guys know how to record music), Eagles, Blue Man Group, Concert for George, and a few others as well. Of course it helps that my front end source is the Oppo BDP-95 through it's analog outs.

One of these days, I'll have to try some fancier cables But that's another story/subject, isn't it.

Whatever you decide, I don't think you can go wrong. IMHO, used IIIAs are one of the best speaker deals on the planet. But some might say that of just about any Maggie.

Good day

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Seriously considering III's over my MMG's...good move? - patmacav 09:14:02 03/22/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.