Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Seriously considering III's over my MMG's...good move?

I am partial to the IIIa. When I was looking to buy, I got the impression that the IIIa was somewhat better than the the III (different tweeter) but pretty similar to the 3.3 and 3.5. The 3.6 was a different animal but, like you, beyond my budget.
However, be aware that the cost does not stop with the purchase. The IIIa requires a bigger amp than the MMG, although it sounds like this is not a problem for you. Also the speaker is very revealing and you may want to upgrade your front end. I bought a new phono cartridge for $700. I also rebuilt the internal xo (externalized). The cost will obviously depend on the components (see Barry's post!) but $300 is probably reasonable. I also went to active bi-amp with a Marchand XM-44. I got a 2-way kit for ~$500 but that was 10 years ago and the cost is closer to $1000 . You could also go DIY for ~$100. Of course, there is the 2nd amp and cables. IMO, PLLXO is not practical for the IIIa. Stands and/or frames will be another expense and again the cost will depend on DIY, Mye stands, or Magnestands.
Expect to have some delam problems which you may be able to fix yourself. I sent mine to Magnepan about 2 weeks before PG posted his DAP fix but even so the delam was probably beyond DAP. I sent the bass-mid panel only to Magnepan and saved a bundle on shipping but the cost was ~$300. My ribbons are still intact but these can cost ~$100 each. New socks will be another $40 or $50.
Finally you need to consider your room, is it big enough? If not you may want to consider the 2.5 or 2.6 although these are harder to find.

Just so you know I am not discouraging you, remember that you will be amortizing your cost. I have had my IIIa's for about 10 years so the extra cost was ~$300 a year or less than a dollar a day. I have enjoyed them immensely and have no regrets at all.

"Our head is round in order to allow our thoughts to change direction." Francis Picabia

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.