Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Seriously considering III's over my MMG's...good move?

I've been getting great info from you cats and doin' research on modding my MMG's but I can't get past the fact that at the end of the day I'll still have a quasi-ribbon equipped speaker. So I'm giving serious consideration to setting my sights on the most affordable (around $400-600, but total budget of $1K) ribbon equipped Maggie that seems to not be too scarce in the used market and it looks like the III/IIIa is the one to pursue. I understand the age issues but if I get a set I plan to build frames for them (Sailor321's are a good example of what I'd want to do) and am willing to go through the procedure of correcting any delamination issues or taking measures to prevent it if there is no existing delamination.

Am I opening up a can of worms with older Maggies such as the III's? Will a modded set of III's (I'm open to frames, upgraded/custom external passive xover, active biamping, PLLXO...but not so hot on computer software crossover like DSP or whatever it's called), if given a thorough refurb, be a wise path to go down? Could I expect them to offer an unquestionable improvement in SQ over a set of modded MMG's?

Any 3 series is out of the question since I still haven't seen them on the used market for less than 2K. 2 series still seem to fetch pretty good coin as well and I just don't see them come up much in the used market.

I have a good selection of big amps all producing upwards or at 500wpc at 4ohm.

-Michael

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - Seriously considering III's over my MMG's...good move? - tinnitusintx 07:25:12 03/22/12 (10)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.