Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: "I thought you had to reverse the polarity even on the 1st order slopes"??? ...

For a symmetrical 1st order crossover (same fc), polarity is irrelevant except perhaps to those freaks who can hear absolute polarity. Let's assume the phase at frequency x for the LP is 0 deg., then the phase for the HP is 90 deg. and the difference is 90 deg. Inverting the polarity on the HP makes it -90 deg. and the difference is still 90 - same difference. Now for asymmetric 1st order xo's the phase difference are not the same (not 90 deg) at all frequencies so inverting will result in a different phase difference. If the fc are far apart, then one may get the drops in the output and inverting may correct this.
As an example here is a bode diagram for the MG-IIb. The fc's of the LP and HP are 2 octaves apart and you can see the drop out for the same polarity that flattens with the inversion.

And here is a Bode diagram for a symmetric 1st order XO that crosses at the same frequency. Note the output only shows as a white line (the magenta line coincides and is obscured). The output is dead flat and if you look at the phase plots they are are always 90 deg apart.

"Our head is round in order to allow our thoughts to change direction." Francis Picabia

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: "I thought you had to reverse the polarity even on the 1st order slopes"??? ... - neolith 06:01:55 03/22/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.