Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Maggies and high-end speakers

Ten minutes ago

I read your post and it all makes sense.

Wow, that's quite an odyssey! I tend to agree with you, because I'm having difficulties even thinking about replacing my Maggies with any of the boxed speakers I've auditioned so far. Truth be told, I haven't auditioned B&Ws recently, but I did listen to them two years ago at the local dealer in their celebrated "Abbie Road" room. Wasn't blown away, to say the least (despite the much touted diamond tweeters etc.)

To me, the best boxed speakers I've listened to so far (such as Focal Utopia Maestro) leave an impression as if I'm dealing with a perfectly wrapped and packaged present, with a bow tie and the whole nine yards. It's all about the design sound, the 'haute couture', if you will, of the high-end sound. Breathtaking and splendid and all that, but somehow not for real. (I can still recall the freakishly deep soundstage of Michel Petrucianni's piano as reproduced by the Meastro speakers -- that's definitely NOT how a real piano sounds in a real room)

Maggies, on the other hand, are not nearly as glamorous sounding, they're more like cinema verite to my ears. Sort of like 16mm movies compared to the glitzy Imax footage. And that's why I prefer them!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.