Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Maggies and high-end speakers

In my experience, those speakers typically have more precise imaging, but can't do what a dipole line source can -- transport you into a large, realistically sized space, such as an auditorium, or reproduce height cues. You tend to get the "miniature instruments on a miniature stage" effect.

Another thing I've noticed with many boxed speakers whose claim to fame is that they image like the devil is that they tend to create an over-the-top smooth animation. What I mean by that is they kind of remind me of those cheesy computer-animated dinosaurs who move so smoothly across the screen, and appear to be weightless, like a soap bubble. You know the super slick, gliding computer animation that sometimes induces motion sickness?

My Maggies never do that. Their animation is vigorous, sometimes a bit distorted and chunky, but always life like. I never get motion sickness from listening to my Maggies, while I got a few 'just about to barf' moments while listening to those ultra high end Focal Meastro Utopia monsters. It just appears caricatural to me how these big boxes portray the band in front of me.

Edits: 03/21/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.