Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Maggies and high-end speakers

I really liked the Revel Studios, my only issue was that the images were so small and midget like and they did not image outside the speakers. Other than that, they are simply not big planars and don't meet my preferences, admire them as I may. Nothing like that bass slam and power. They are very dynamic indeed.

I know that maggies in general have a minimum playback level that puts them in the linear range, similar to the Vandersteens in that regard but worse. But that may not be as much of an issue so much if you use your 3.6 with subs and it also appears to be less of an issue when you biamp. With that in place, you can get the dynamics you are looking for.

I recently changed the tonal balance on my modified triamped Tympani IV to mimic the tonal balance of the JMLab Utopias - another speaker with great bass dynamics. I added a rod to brace the top of the bass panels to the wall on top of the large hobbit proportioned feet. With 2kw per channel to drive them, they are cleaner and tighter than the Utopias but lack comparable power below about 25 hz. There is plenty of power there, just not as much. The point I am trying to make is that you can get more of what you want out of maggies while keeping what you liked about them in the first place.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.