Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Sound coming from outside of the soundstage

Hmmm, let me not assume things and do a "basics check". The following are non-room related things that affect imaging. This will be rushed because I am expecting some visitors, so I may forget some things but not the important ones. In order of influence:

1. Power cables of correct guage. Best example. First Denon receiver I had. No imaging to speak of. The surrund effects were barely perceivable. False solution: I bought another more powerful Denon and the issue was gone. Why false? Much later I discovered that the power cable sold to me with the original Denon was a computer cord, 18 GA. Later tested the same offending receiver with a 14ga cord. Imaged like a champ. As a result, I replaced ALL power cables with 14ga. Improved imaging further. (In the process discovered that the SACD player was in fact supposed to have a 14ga cable, not the 18ga they sold it to me with...bass and dynamics jumped, imaging finally surpassed my cPlay enabled PC.) Whatever you may have bought second hand or store demo IS SUSPECT.

2. Speaker cables: too close to transformers or other power sources. Case in point: A single walwart (like the transformer for a hard drive) can flatten and/or shift imaging if it gets to close to speaker cables. (I allow no more than 6" proximity now. Even with shielded power cord)

3. Power cables: (Shielded vs non shielded.) Later replaced all 14ga non-shielded with some 14ga shielded that Dawnrazor mentioned. A few benefits ensued including notable gains in image stability and overall soundstage.

4. Interconnects, obviously, the analog RCA. Regardless of quality, keep away from power lines, transformers and the enclosures of the equipment.

5. Walwarts or power appliances on the same circuit contaminate. iPad's, among other, are very offensive. Power conditioners help but are not always effective.

6. TV RFI of my plasma is not as terrible as I have seen elsewhere. Shielded power cord helps grandly. Managed distance helps also.

7. Some power amps with toroidal transformers can be affected by CableTV or Satellite incoming signal. TOTAL disconnection (cable from box, box from wall) can tell. If an issue is found, filters are avalable that help.

Visitors arrived...but you get the idea. Cable & power managment is key.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.