Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Cones...

I've noticed the trend toward miniaturization in the cones. Many of the relatively high-end boxed speakers I've looked into are sporting surprisingly tiny woofers. A guy I know who specializes in building his own speakers told me that it is desirable to have smaller cones (as small as possible), because less mass == less inertia, meaning easier to control. For the same reason he prefers two way speakers -- less moving parts, easier to conjure up coherent sounding reproduction.

This type of reasoning flies in the face of the Maggies architecture, which boasts an enormous surface dedicated to pushing air. How to control that beast is another can of worms, something that Magneplanar have obviously mastered beyond the scope of us mere amateurs. Which gives them huge competitive advantage.

I'm still trying to sort out why would then high-end boxed speakers be so much more expensive than Maggies. According to my tests, they don't seem to offer many advantages over Maggies (other than perhaps firmer imaging). Many claim that boxed speakers offer superior dynamics, but I'm still waiting for a demo that would convince me of that.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.