Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: How often do you see someone admit to that in an audiphile forum?

The self erasure problem was very well hidden in VHS HiFi because of the way the audio was modulated. It would have to get pretty bad before the detector would really struggle with it. FM carrier was it? I have either forgotten or never knew how the HiFi audio was handled in the VHS format. All I remember is that the non HiFi version had a mono track at the edge of the tape and a seperate audio head much like a reel to reel tape head. I think that AGC was used but don't know if they did that with the stereo HiFi track. Even with the shortcomings of the format I wouldn't mind using it for where it made sense. I wonder if all of Beethovan's symphonies would fit on a single tape or not? If not then I could omit the 2nd and the 4th maybe.

Thanks for looking that stuff up. I wasn't in the mood to be as ambitious. I do remember the interferance signal you referred to. Intercarrier buzz? I think that under the best of conditions that the buzz was low enough in level that it wasn't too objectionable. Perhaps I won't junk that old Panasonic deck after all. I'll keep it in the back of my mind for awhile to see if I can take advantage of it.

Do you remember when you would play back some of those tapes that had been played often? Where you would get that grainy effect with the picture, kinda like solarization? And you knew it didn't used to be like that and that the heads were neither dirty or worn. That's the lumanance part of the video signal that would start to go first. The chroma band would still be pretty good but the luma detail was starting to give up the ghost. There's your evidence for self erasure. It's happening to the whole signal on the tape but the higher frequencies lumanence would suffer it the worst. I suppose with DVD and Blue-Ray that we don't have to deal with that anymore.

The more I think about it the more I think I just need to make a final transfer to disc of the small number of music movies that I have and be done with it. Pity I didn't archive my vinyl with this before most of those records were damaged. At least the recordings that were important to me. I was one of those people that hit on wet recording from vinyl. That pretty much eliminated nearly all of the surface noise for the one time I needed to record it. I wished I has known that earlier.

Edits: 03/16/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.