Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Sound coming from outside of the soundstage

An example with a box speaker. "Hell Freezes Over" CD, The Eagles.

The rendition of Hotel California, in concert, has many charms in my system. I use its first minute or so as part of my core test music.

Among these charms, the audience extends outside the walls behind the MMGs but some of their applause and some of the whistling hails from above and behind me at the sitting position.

At a friend's, his B&W 802D speakers do pretty much the same. While the audience behind the speakers is not as deep, from behind and above me I hear a similar surround effect in stereo.

OTOH, what the 802Ds cannot replicate there is the soundstage depth and layering that I get between the MMGs and their behind-the-wall far end, as I get at home. Within this soundstage at home, each player and instrument has a 3D position and none of it comes from the MMGs or anything in between them.

Another example I just remembered is the Telarc SACD Sampler 3 disk. In the stereo layer, the first track is rich in spatial effects and it starts with sound that comes from the back as well as, later, sound from the sides, close to the sitting position. Both the MMGs and 802D display them, each with their own personalities.

I wish the 802D were not so heavy becasue I'd be curious to see how much of my room config makes for the great imaging I get. These B&W, for being boxes, do very good imaging despite their current placement restrictions in my friend's family room.

Edits: 03/16/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.