Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: How often do you see someone admit to that in an audiphile forum?

Self-erasure was a particular problem with the high output tapes that were in vogue at the time, though I wasn't aware the phenomenon affected VHS Hi Fi. It's been many years, but IIRC, Beta Hi Fi used a linear head with FM recording that ran over the video tracks and the VHS camp countered by adding a subcarrier to the video signal using the head drum? Which would I guess have been below the color under subcarrier. So I suppose the buzz could have been crosstalk with the color subcarrier (remember intercarrier buzz on analog receivers?). I do know that they used extreme compansion a la dbx, which is why you had audible pumping, it wasn't a multiple band system like Dolby A or a sliding-slope one like Dolby B so you didn't get the benefit of perceptual frequency masking.

OK, just did a search and it is intercarrier buzz. They also mention depth recording and interchange problems, both of which I'd forgotten about:

"Sony was confident that VHS could not achieve the same audio performance feat as Beta Hi-Fi. However, to the chagrin of Sony, JVC did develop a VHS hi-fi system on the principle of depth multiplexing approximately a year after the first Beta Hi-Fi VCR, the SL-5200, was introduced by Sony. Despite initial praise as providing 'CD sound quality,' both Beta Hi-Fi and VHS HiFi suffered from 'carrier buzz,' where high frequency information bled into the audio carriers, creating momentary 'buzzing' and other audio flaws. Both systems also used companding noise-reduction systems, which could create 'pumping' artifacts under some conditions. Both formats also suffered from interchange problems, where tapes made on one machine did not always play back well on other machines. When this happened and if the artifacts became too distracting, users were forced to revert to the old linear soundtrack."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betamax

They don't say which carrier is crosstalking though, whether it's the color under SC or the lower sidebands from the monochrome FM signal.

I remember thinking at the time that FM audio recording (in a dedicated machine) would blow away both the traditional baseband analog formats and the new digital ones, as they existed at the time.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.