Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Yet another problem room..

Russ, I suppose I was lucky. I received good advice here when the time came to put my system together.

Here's a little diagram of my rectangular room, in which none of what you mention applies.

I can even run the original Denon receiver I began with in 2008. At 100 w/ch it can sustain most of the soundstage I illustrate, albeit a little smaller and with less solid elements than the current setup. I bring it back from storage at times to demonstrate to my friends. While it can't achieve the same amount of bass that the current Denon or the power amp shown can, it still isn't wimpy.

In fact, also in storage, I have a 25 year old NAD power amp whose 100 w/ch are backed by a beefy power supply. It is a pity that it lacks enough refinement in sound at the top. Except for this age imposed limitation, this NAD can deliver very dynamic sound, including bass that you have yet to hear from MMGs. Similar power amp capabilities are available for prices that could have fit Don's budget.

I bi-amp using a very cheap implementation at line level that delivers clarity rivaling unmodded 1.6 and even 1.7s. However, it is not required for most people.

The soundstage, depending on the recording, can be huge and detailed, and often is. The TV, the MMGs and the walls vanish before your eyes as you get involved in the music. Everything within the solid blue outline you can "look" at. It is solid enough that turning your head does not damage the positioning of each elementt in it.

The black dotted outline can be the source of quite solid sound in several recordings. In these, it is surround sound, except it is just these 2 MMGs doing it alone. The main difference between the frontal (solid blue or black outlines) and this area is that if you turn your head around to look, it often changes or vanishes. Not so with the fronta area.

Not shown is the amazing positioning of elements within that soundstage. I have heard $50K+ speakers that could not replicate this kind of soundstage even in their type of ideal room. In fact, the only speakers that have heard exceeded it are the Maggies 3.7 in a demo room.

The subwoofer depicted is hardly ever used for music. It is not needed for most of it. We use it for movies.

The room does not need much treatment to sound great. A small amount of burlap is what I used for absorption.

Don would not have been able to achieve all of this with MMGs in that room. Most likely, with a little care, he could have still achieved a significant portion.

So Russ, I am sorry if you had improper guidance here. The reason that I am spending all this time trying to help is that I am extremly grateful to those who helped me in the past. Pay it forward, is it? I've got a lot to pay for.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Yet another problem room.. - JBen 23:51:49 03/04/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.