Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Yet another problem room..

Another one: http://www.justrealmusic.com/content/home1.htm - any experience?

FWIW - I went to BestBuy (booo..) today intending to buy the ML ElectroMotion ELS's that I saw at a BestBuy about a week ago - when a pair came to around $1600. That's no longer the case - now a pair came in at $2200, but comes with a "free" ML subwoofer. I think "free" actually costs around $600 now.

After listening to them in BestBuy's Magnolia (they should serve drinks I think..) listening room - I felt there would be no need for a sub with them. They worked on Saint-Saens Organ Symphony (#3) just fine. They actually startled the young sales chap who had never realized classical music could sound like that (I explained it was a duel between the orchestra and the pipe organ - and the organ wins..)

Anyway - apparently ML keeps very tight rein on the selling prices and limits discounting to 5% or something. So.. I left speakerless. Just waffled around the web and came across a set of Martin-Logan SL3's almost local, so I'm going to try to get a listen of them.

Still thinking on what to do.

The one thing that's sorta turning me away from Maggies (as good as they sounded) is the sheer number of "mods" people are doing to them to correct what sounds like some basic flaws in design and construction.

Hope that doesn't offend - but: Adding framework to the speakers? Should that REALLY be necessary? Rebuilding brand new cross-overs? Really? In looking at the design and construction, it appears the Maggies are slightly over what I could do out in my garage if I was inspired enough to try (I'm fairly handy with both wood and electronics.) It's a nice idea, but a lot of the engineering in it seems to be a tad retro. I can't understand why they're not using an evaporated conductive coating on the mylar instead of gluing wires to it. A big evaporator is expensive, but it would certainly cut the labor cost of manufacturing down by an order of magnitude.

Anyway - I'm still puzzling over what I'll do. I have some money now, and as with most members of the male population, my pocket is afire..

Best,

Don Eilenberger
SLH, NJ, USA

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.