Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Don, I was disturbed by what you said about the Mini Maggies

[Quote] The Mini-Maggie I found a bit disconcerting since the crossover between the woofer and the upper panels is rather high, about in the middle of the music being listened to, and I could very clearly hear the transition, and apparent instrument movement from the uppers to the lowers. [End Quote]

I have never heard any such issues with my Mini Maggie setup nor have I ever read any reviewers suggesting what you heard at your dealer demo. Since I have my Mini Maggies on ear level speaker stands and I also use subs perhaps my satellite/woofer whole room arrangement is very different to the configuration you heard.

Of course I am most interested in any negative comments that reviewers or trial owners have about the Mini Maggies, since I have found them to be one of the most remarkable Maggies produced if the Tympanis or 20.1 speakers don’t suit your needs.

I would therefore strongly recommend the Mini Maggies with a sub in the second room configuration posted. My alternate to that would be the MMGs wih the Magnestand Mods. Both options may be more than you want to spend but you only live once and compared to anything else Maggie are a bargain.

Thus I agree with josh358 and JBen. I also second JBen’s recommendation for the powerful low cost hybrid Vincent Audio amp.

Update:

[Quote] The mini's I audtioned weren't optimally placed for sure. The woofer was off to the left of my knee. [End Quote]

That explains everything. The single DWM woofer must be centered between the two midrange/tweeter panels. If this configuration is not possible then you need to use two DWM woofers that will be off-centered as you need.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Don, I was disturbed by what you said about the Mini Maggies - audiozorro 11:06:31 03/03/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.