Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Found a shifter at noon.

Not that it changes the plan but here's something that may confirm your perception as correct.

This morning I was replying to a post and included the word "SACD" as part of it. This triggered a recollection.

I am not a "fan" of Peter Gabriel. While I do not "dislike" him, I wish he did not have to over-process audio do much. That said, in the early days after I got my MMGs, I could impress some friends by showing that "Surround Sound" could be achieved with just stereo.

One of the examples was Peter Gabriels's UP in SACD Stereo. A friend once challenged that I HAD to be using the multi-channel layer (which I never use). No way could stereo do this, he said. I won a case of beer.

Today, I got curious and drove home to have lunch there. I gave the hardware a few minutes to warm up while I slurped a Double Whopper and large fries (to the tune of brass music). Then I switched to the SACD in question and bingo. Peter Gabriel's "Growing Up" and "Signal To Noise" would give that positional shifting impression at times. But by design.

I am sure that it is his voice that shifts in S-T-N. At that moment, it moves left of center and backward on the stage, as sound engineers engage a psychoacoustical special effect that includes reverb. This also causes his voice to come from several feet BEHIND me.

The effect on "Growing Up" is a voice that may be his, or not. At home, it comes from well behind the right sidewall. This piece is one I used many times. It creates a sound bubble of surrond sound that includes the ceiling. Awesome; and I did not use the subwoofer which adds even more resonance "air".

Lastly, I did a quick check by switching to the CD layer of the SACD. Not as impressive but all the key elements are there. So, if "UP" was one album that did it at your end, you have confirmation.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Found a shifter at noon. - JBen 11:16:13 03/02/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.