Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

MG12s in a 12' x 19' room...What would you do?

Hello all.
I'm trying to help out a friend who just got a pair of the Magnepan MG12 speakers. Problem is, I really have no experience with planar speakers, so my recommendations are pretty limited. Enclosed is a lot of information to give you for reference, so please bear with me.

The room he has them in is 12' x 19', but it's open to another room at about 12' behind the speakers, and after that, the remaining 7 feet or so opens up to the dining room behind it. My friend has no option but to place them along this long wall (the right speaker's outside edge runs flush to the end of this wall). That's the kicker.

Also, along the long portion of the room, his seating position is up against the back wall that runs the length of the room at 19', with a bay window behind the seating position. It has blinds that he closes when listening, and there's lots of pictures and books resting on the ledge where the window juts out.

His equipment rack sits at the midway point of this front wall (about 5' from the side wall on the left, and same for the other side before the right side of this wall ends and opens-up as mentioned before).

As it stands at the moment, for speaker placement, although not optimal, he has the left speaker 36" out from the front wall, and about 60" from the side wall; the right speaker is 36" from the front wall as well, but due to the wall stopping and opening up behind it to the dining room (it still reflects off the front wall because its edge is flush to it), it's edge is 7' from the corresponding side wall — hardly optimal.

So, his seating position is directly between the speakers, where he is across from the rack at about 10' from his ear in the seat; a little over 8' from where the center of slightly toed-in speaker centers are to the ear. The speakers are about 6' 8" apart when measuring from their centers, tweeters to the OUTSIDE, as recommended by the manual.

Okay, his equipment is a Rega Elicit, Rega Apollo, Well Tempered Amadeus with Dynavector 20X2-L and a Graham Slee Reflex phono/Cinemag setup. Speaker cables are Anti-Cables and Jumpers; ICs are all Mogami.

If you're still with me, the sound is really quite amazing for the most part. It has a very wide soundstage, solid imaging, great depth. They don't exactly 'disappear' as many have experienced, but I know we just need to keep working on moving them around. The only thing that either of us cannot rectify is that on many recordings (mostly on the turntable; but it is present on CD as well) the bass is pretty strong and has a tendency to overwhelm (maybe overload is more apt) or seem hidden at times on familiar recordings (by hidden, I mean harder to follow). It can sound 'bloated' or tubby, but then on upright bass is sounds quite good and well-defined. Strange.

Any recommendations after all of that? Speaker positioning...tweeter arrangement...sound panels (where?)...He's up for almost anything, other than changing seating arrangement because it's just not feasible. HELP!!! Since I really cannot.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - MG12s in a 12' x 19' room...What would you do? - Jsawyer09 09:10:35 03/02/12 (8)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.