Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Shifting instruments and room layout

So I've noticed certain things, like Peter Gabriel's voice, tend to shift between center and left of center. Until a recent thread, I've always assumed it was a combination of my room layout (left of center) and my imagination (moving).

Here is my apartment layout:
http://www.islandhomestead.com/Apartments/module/property_floorplans/property[id]/7233/

It's the "winslow layout" mirrored. The picture doesn't really give a good idea of the asymmetry, so included are photographs and a rough overhead from paint. I did a lot of experimenting with speaker positioning and haven't found a great one yet. However, I attribute some of my issues to the receiver I'm using to drive the Maggies, so my upcoming upgrades which should help me weed out those issues and find better placement.

Also, my equipment:
1.6s (tweeter out)
Onkyo 608
Music: Lossless WMA from a PC - digital to the Onkyo
Subwoofer: Mirage FRX-S15 (Sub works surprising well with the Maggies - so long as the crossover is all the way down at 40hz. Really extends the base, but still sounds just as tight as the Maggies alone. Above 40Hz it sounds - literally - floppy)

Replacing the Onkyo with a Marantz SR8500, Bryston 10B-STD XO, and B&K 7250.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Shifting instruments and room layout - pistonengine 19:48:27 03/01/12 (29)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.