Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: SACD's that sound Good on Maggies

Russ, these are some of the SACDs that play great and are thoroughly enjoyable when played in modded MMGs -- and to the extent that I have tried some -- much better still on 3.6 & 3.7.

As a general rule, I use SACDs more for classical/orchestral music. Jazz and other genre I can "stand" mostly fine on upsampled Red Book or other Hi-rez PCM formats. The list is all SACD but I don't use multi-channel. I listen to them always in stereo and always with NO subwoofer.

To help those who own MMGs, the list is sorted according to increasing need for modding (with, primarily, frame reinforcement). Those albums that only played "totally good" after the frame was reinforced have "FRR" after the title. The reinforcement helps all music, significantly; but it becomes critical for these "FRR". My MMGs frame reinforcement is what I call Stixbees. However, it also refers to some of the Maggie stands and to the full wood frames in other Maggies.

If any selection in a disc forms part of my "Core Test Music Selections" there is also the code "CTMS" next to it. This also means that I have heard them in 3.6 and 3.7 Maggies (which, of course, do much better).

- Diana Krall: When I Look In Your Eyes CTMS
Some instrumental textures, plus her voice, won an early place in my CTMS since 2008.

- The World's Greatest Audiophile Vocal Recordings - Chesky CTMS
Some outstandingly gorgeous songs (however, Chesky's great Best Audiophile Voices I-V (XRCD) do have better combinations as full discs)

- Carpenters: Singles 1969-1981
I have never heard them sound better. Karen's voice, at times, will blow you away. The transfers even managed to capture imaging that I don't recall from LPs.

- Dvorak: Slavonic Dances - Cleveland Orchestra/Szell
Among best interpretations, delightful selections. Old recording but modern sound and great imaging. Most people love much of it even if classical is not their thing.

- Russian Violin Concertos - Fischer/Kreizberg, Khachaturian: Violin Concerto, Prokofiev: Violin Concerto, Glazunov: Violin Concerto CTMS
I am partial to Prokofiev, which is also great here, but on this disc Julia's Khachaturian is superb...plus just the violin's sound itself enchants.

- Tchaikovsky: Violin Concerto - Fischer, Kreizberg CTMS
Almost the precision of Heifetz along with the lyrical flow of Stern or even Oistrakh, in a modern recording of a favorite concert; includes other sweet interpretations.

- Chicago - Soundtrack
None better if your liked it; even in stereo it trumps the video DVDs surround (I still have to try BluRay). Latifa's Mama's ROCKS!

- Telarc SACD Jazz Sampler, Vol. 3 CTMS
Among the first in my CTMS since 2008. A bit of many things. Primarily chosen for imaging & pianos in various setting. The first album to burst through the walls in my living room with unmodded, original parts when these 1999 MMG model were purchased used in 2008.

- Jazz At The Pawnshop 30th Anniversary Edition
IF you have liked the LP/CD versions, then the SACD brings more to the table. Maggies recreate ambience and these SACDs feed it in spades. If the previous versions were not your cup-of-tea, SACD won't fix that.

- Ravel: Daphnis et Chloe - Munch - RCA Living Stereo
Arresting sonics and imaging that no one believes are from a 1955 recording...and at the hand of planar speakers, boy, what a treat!

- Ultimate Mancini - Henry Mancini/Monica Mancini CTMS FRR
Superb Pink Panther, all around sonics and silky/lovely Monica's voice. Very, very enjoyable througout [My subconcious-self does tend to skip ONE piece - find out which and win a prize! No names, please.]

- Nice 'N' Easy, Celebrating Sinatra - Cincinnati Pops/Kunzel CTMS FRR
Terrific arrangements. Outstanding orchestral brass sound, and treble percussion so crystal clear that ribbon tweeters will rejoice you with (even my QR do!)

- Gershwin: Piano Concerto in F, Rhapsody in Blue, Cuban Overture - Nakamatsu, Tyzik CTMS FRR
One of my favorite Concert in F interpretations and in a great all around modern recording that captures top-notch instrumental textures as well as imaging

- Prokofiev: Romeo and Juliet - Valery Gergiev FRR
While not my favorite interpretation, still great (in fact, very highly regarded by many)...wonderful sonics in this 2-disc set of the whole thing.

- Patricia Barber: Companion CTMS, FRR
Bring the nightclub home! Delightful all around. Superb ample imaging and richly detailed when the system is good. Along with Timeagain's Tequila (below), the bass taxes some amps driving Maggies.(The XRCD version is an excellent alternative)

- David Sanborn: Timeagain CTMS, FRR
Great textures & rhythm. Impressive imaging. On the wrong equipment or settings will disappoint as seemingly distorted at times. Tequila's bass taxes some amps driving Maggies.

- Mahler: Symphony No. 2 - Ivan Fischer FRR
So far, my favorite No2. Incredible sonics also. Massive orchestral passages will tell if Maggies not up to task (with loss of clarity).

- The Film Music of Jerry Goldsmith CTMS, FRR
Absolutely delightful from start to finish. Some of the best violin sections. Sumptuous dynamics. One of my favorite orchestral albums, yet it was no so from day one. Initially, the massive orchestra lost much clarity, until the MMGs were reinforced...and then, bliss!

Edits: 02/29/12 02/29/12 02/29/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: SACD's that sound Good on Maggies - JBen 01:22:23 02/29/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.