Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: center channel

Thanks,

I've been trying to figue out a good center channel solution to my HT when I happened to come across this stream. I was on the verge of purchasing either a CC3 or MMGW's, but now I am glad that I come across Joe's (and others) suggestion of using a single MMG. My prior setup was Paradigm Studio CC but it never mated to the MG 3.6's very well. I also had studio 20's in the rears which again sounds great if using all box speakers but left something lacking with the MG's. My old set of MG III's had a brief trial at the rears pointed directly at the primary listening seat. Unfortunately it was way too bright in that configuration. So I was back to the studio CC and studio 20's. As it turned out I saw this thread about the same time I saw another post describing the sounds of a 2 channel MG system with the speakers firing at each other (perpendicular to the listening axis!). I purchased the MMG from Joe. I had all sorts of ideas for a center mount but while I was brainstorming I had to temporarily set up the MMG center and bingo, I came up with the position above the receiver. Works great and all for the price of a few Vibrapods lying around.

So now about the rears. I thought that the problem may have to do with the sofa blocking some of the bass frequencies coming from the MG III's. The ribbons are positioned higher and would not be as effected by the "proper" speaker position. So on the second attempt, I positioned the speakers firing at each other - nearly perpendicular to the back wall. I put the ribbons right next to the back wall so the woofers would be outboard. My room is wider than it is deep, so the side walls are a good 5-7 ft away. I thought in this configuration, the woofers would have a chance to breathe and open up. Voila...crazy sounding MG III rears.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: center channel - clemmons.biker 13:58:30 02/28/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.