Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Listened to B&W 802Di today

Okay, I went to the dealer, and had a good session with the B&W 802Di . They were better than My Maggie 3.6s in most ways, but not all.

I felt that male voice was just a touch "off", though female was awesome. I found the speakers were a touch lifeless in the midrange at low volumes (though not with the veiled dynamics I feel with the Maggie).

At moderate volumes, the B&W were awesome. Never bright, and actually more relaxed than the Maggie. The bass was far more powerful, although I have to watch out for room resonances more. The voicing was different with a bit more of a recessed soundstage. At times I liked the voicing better, and at times I just felt it was different.

Imaging wasn't perfect on all recordings, but on the better ones, it was very precise. I liked that when music got complex, it never muddied any of the instruments. Each one was solid. I find with the Maggie that complex music confuses the sound of everything.

I wasn't totally convinced that I needed to upgrade, given the increase in price -- but I did enjoy them immensely, on all types of music.

I came back home and listened to the Maggies again. It is funny, but with the Maggies I initially found the vocals more "real" than with B&W at lower volumes. But at higher volumes, I quickly became fatigued.

It is possible that the 3.7s, some room treatment, and the addition of a subwoofer may help. I currently have a room 24 ft wide by 16 feet deep. There is a 60" plasma TV 3.5 ft from the wall on a scissor mount, between the speakers (the speakers are 4 ft, so there should be no direct reflections). The room isn't live, but isn't dead either - in between. Carpet on concrete floor.

It's nice to hear that my Maggie holds up to the B&W, even if I do like the B&W better.

P.S. I heard the 803Di as well. The store said they sell 25x more 802Di than 803. I heard why. The 803 had a much more upfront soundstage, which gave it the feeling of clarity at low volume. But with higher volumes, the sound was fatiguing and flat, with no soundstage depth to speak of (actually it sounded a bit like what I am complaining about with the Maggie, but worse). I think B&W must have made the 803s just to allow stores to upsell to 802s ;)

Edits: 02/24/12 02/24/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.