Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Forgive me, I want to...

I hooked up the Dynaco A150's to the Dynaco ST-70 and without a sub. Other sources, A modified Bottlehead Foreplay II Preamp, and a Rotel RCD-1072 CDP.

They sounded good, but not stellar, lacked bass extension and the soundfield was okay, you definitely know where the speakers are, too much stereo effect and not much in the middle.

I'm sure that better placement would have extended the bass and expanded the soundfield. A pair of subs would have also been of benefit to create weight and energy.

Maybe I will pull out the JBL's and hook them up for grins in the near future, but I doubt that they will come close to the Magnepan's for shear largeness of the soundstage, detail, and finesse.

My Altec A7's may have been the most dynamic speaker I've ever owned, yet they too had finesse and a wonderful soundstage. 2nd would be my old JBL 4320's, again very dynamic but also had great detail and finesse.

The reason I considered the Klipsch Cornwall's (and I shouldn't have been so cheap and bid more), was that a good friend of mine had a pair of Klipsch Belle's ( believe that's what model he had) and they too caught me by surprise, as did the Magnepan's the first time I heard them.

I agree with e-Stat that is better to appreciate what you already have, and I do. Maybe, it's like the guitar side of me, there's a better Les Paul or Stratocaster out there, when you already have it!

Jim

Nothing Sounds Better Than Tubes To My Ears! The Asylum where slander/libel is rampant...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Forgive me, I want to... - Medium Jim 15:52:02 02/24/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.