Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

It wasn't supposed to sound good!

I obtained a pair of 1/4 to RCA adaptors and had a chance to audition the BGW 500D. Danggumit, the damn thing sounds darn good. The fan noise is annoying between songs, otherwise, no complaints.

It isn't as sweet as the Marantz's, doesn't have the depth in the soundstage, or the finesse either, but for some reason I like it. Maybe it is a blast to my past and that it goes as loud as can ever want.

The bass is nice, the mids are not nearly as nice, but the highs are, but with a hint of grain. I had more grain with the Bryston 4b SST2 with a pair of 1.6's. It sort of reminds me of my old Parasound HCA 1500, but with more power, almost as much as the Bryston.

It will be my in your face amp for rock and blues, but I will need to bypass the fan or replace it with a quieter one.

The Marantz's are better in so many ways, but the BGW is very fun. The BGW 500D replaced the Crown 300 as the industry standard for movie theaters and was the first such amp to guarantee its rms wattage.

And it was a freebie toss in on a couple of guitars I bought!

Jim

Nothing Sounds Better Than Tubes To My Ears! The Asylum where slander/libel is rampant...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.