Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Looking to leave the Maggie Fold?

I think you are hitting on the limits of the stock crossover. But besides this, there is something wrong going on. The 3.6 should not sound as extreme in its upper midrange and mushy in soundstaging as you are describing.

If you don't have any measurement equipment, go get at least a digital rat shack SPL meter and a test CD with 1/3 octave warbles. If you are willing to put in some effort and a few bucks, get a Dayton calibrated mic, and REW software from Home Theater Shack.com. Measure the FR you are getting now, and try different toe in angles to see what effect it has on FR. This will also point out to you if there is a particular frequency highlighted.

As a first off guess, I would venture that something is wrong with your midrange crossover - namely the low pass for the midrange. The 3.x midranges are significantly more sensitive than the other drivers, which is why they are filtered off early, if one of the speaker's mid shunt capacitors is broken or disconnected/or out of spec, then you will have an overly prominent upper midrange on one speaker, if not both - in the case of off spec parts. That would account for the harshness and mushy soundstaging. One test is to listen to a mono recording of a female vocalist or violin, and a mono recording of a large orchestral piece. If one speaker pulls the center mono image in one direction on particular notes or instruments, then you do have a problem with the XO, if not, then it is elsewhere.

If the speaker is older than 10 years then there may be some delamination, which may come off as upper midrange harshness if it is in the midrange drivers.

There may be an issue of interference from treatments if they were set up for box speakers.
How far are the speakers pulled into the room and what kind of treatments and furniture do you have on the walls behind the speakers and on the side walls? What is the toe in angle? Are the tweeters in or out?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.