Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Looking to leave the Maggie Fold?

In my post below I mention three different "non maggie" planar options, and none of them are (or need be) "ultra high end" at "tens of thousands" dollars cost.

For example, my option one, full range electrostatics. The SoundLab Millennium 3XP is listed at a little over $13K, the Audiostatic MDi are 3K euro. Certainly not tens of thousands of dollars/euros or whatever and I am sure that a full range electrostat will be more coherent than a three way planar or whatever!
For example, my option two, hybrid electrostat, the Sanders top of the range model 10 is also a around $13K and it includes and amplifier and crossover.
For an example of my option three, an alternative ribbon, the SoulSonic Impact is just under 7K euro.

Now there are two additional aspects that I did not previously mention.
Eye-pleasingness/WAF. There are maggie planar alternatives that are more visually attractive, at least to these eyes!, I would offer the Martin Logans and the SoulSonic Impact as examples of this.

The second aspect that I did not mention in my previous post is that of second hand speakers. For example, the Acoustats. My 20 year old spectra 22s stack up amazingly well against the new Quads, not to mention the maggies which I carefully listened to recently.

It comes down to this, if our fellow inmate wants to look at planars beyond maggies let him, and he can report back to us his findings! Reality is that different sorts of planars appeal to different persons, and that's great, it would be a pretty sad world if we all had identical tastes!

I really do hope that our fellow inmate will make his decision and report back to us.
That's why we are here - to hear other people's opinions!

Regards
Bruce

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Looking to leave the Maggie Fold? - BruceS 20:07:21 02/21/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.