Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Speaker vs room vs equipment vs system

Neil, a set of floor diagrams/pictures could trigger some fresh ideas.

For now, I'll focus on just one aspect. One that I am sure you have looked at before, the power amps. Again, rather than propose things, I am just hoping to trigger thoughts at your end. These below could work by themselves, or not.

- Is the current power amp still the 150 w/ch 8ohm? If so, the resulting 300/4ohm may still not be good enough for 3.6s at the bottom. I use 300/4ohm just for the bass panels in my MMGs. I do believe you tried peppier power amps but they did not help at the top?

- It may be that, like me, you like the MOSFET sound. The best imaging and bass that my MMGs have delivered was with a Parasound Halo A21. Smooth top, too. I helped my friend select it for his B&W 802D after many other options were too expensive and/or not too refined. Right balance, right price. MOSFET. The 400/4ohm is not a major jump from what you have now but I'd suggest you test one. Their current output is commendable. BTW, the 802D via passive preamp sound gorgeous, smooth and full-bodied. The Halo A21 makes them image like nothing else we have seen 2x their list price.

- You could bi-amp at line level (either active or PLLXO). I chose PLLXO because I could get away with it. In any event, passive or active, I need to stay in analog mode after the first D/A conversion. I listen to SACDs in DSD mode (no PCM conversion on these). This, my friend, tells me how good the music can be from this lowly system...and it "don't sound" THAT lowly. If I could get my hands on a pair of 3.6s, I would -- at the very least -- biamp on day 2...maybe sooner.

In any event, bi-amping (at line-level) would allow you to extract better sound. One option that I have tested here is using 2 Parasound MOSFET stereo amps (not Halos, earlier HCAs) and it works great. Using the Placette passive MAY be an issue or not; a good active xover could do the trick if the Placette allows it.

Lastly, an option with bi-amping that could work great for you is the Sanders Magtech for the bass panel along with your current amp for the top. The Magtech, fully driving 3.7s, is a powerful and delightfully refined beast. So, even without bi-amping, the 3.6s would be well served. However, I only heard this great beast with a hybrid tube pre-amp.

Of course, the hope is that you could borrow this stuff from either friends or dealers. Not easy, I know.

PS...If you still have that Denon monster...would you like to like find out how really good it can bi-amp while driving the top at line-level?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.