Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Looking to re-join the Maggie fold

How do you feel about buying used audio gear? All my planar speakers have been used (so far). Several of my vintage amps and preamps are also used. So, I have no problem making purchases of used audio equipment. Some folks wouldn't ever consider buying used.

Personally, I would buy a used pair of whatever, that way whatever you buy, you can pretty much recover your cost if you decide they aren't what you wanted. I realize that used 1.7s and 3.7s could be a challenge to acquire, so I would start by looking at used 1.6s or 3.6s, depending on whether you like the true ribbon tweeters or not. There are plenty of those on the used market.

While I'm sure both will sound different then their newest versions, I would think that they would give you a good idea if you really want to get back into planars or not. If you find they're not what you were looking for, then you can sell them for whatever you have invested in them.

Another option, if you know that you enjoy the true ribbon sound of 3.7s over the quasi ribbon sound of a 1.7s, is to pick up a pair of vintage IIIAs, which I personally believe to be one of the best values of used true ribbon speakers on the planet today. Of course, if you go the used route, you want to have a listen to whatever you buy and you need to inspect them for delamination and understand that delamination can become an issue if it's not an issue already. The thing about delamination is, it's fixable and according to some on this forum, maybe even preventable. Worst case with delam issues, is you send them back to Magnepan for a complete rebuild.

I'm sure that's where the newest versions, the 1.7s and 3.7s will trump their previous versions, since they are foil on mylar and not wire glued to mylar. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that the foil will be attached differently and that they won't have the delamination issues of the older versions of Maggies. Only time will tell.

IIIAs are the route I went and I'm sure not sorry about it.

Have a
Good day

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.