Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Speaker vs room vs equipment vs system

There are 2 suggested action points in this post. I search-listed your posts in this forum to get an idea of what you've been through already. Clearly, you have done your homework. There's not much that we can add, if any, to what you have tried. The only thing is that, in the vast universe of variation, there could still be a hidden silly thing yet to be found.

Action point #1 is: DO get the B&W. I mean start looking for them. I suspect that the 805s, even the current model with the diamond tweeter, would be a mistake after owning 3.6s. I never got to like the 803D for the price, but that's me. The speaker for you is the 802D. Look it up 2nd hand for $9k or less and you'll get a bargain. It even does very good imaging. I do worry about the taxes if you have to import :( [BTW, there is a newer version but the distance to the original 802D does not warrant buying new ones.]

I know because I helped a friend select first the 805N years ago and later the 805D. He still owns both. He was never a planar guy and I did not even try to make him so. I told him to get the 802s but he and his wife found them "ugly-looking" then; so we found a good deal on the 805s. Later, his audio tastes improved...and suddenly the 802D were not so ugly after all. LOL!

Action point #2: While you find a bargain on the best speaker for you, let us take a collective final stab at possibilities not yet found. Life is like that. The detail that could make the real difference often escapes us when we are too close.

You would have to draw that room and list the hardware. You have already done so much that it is not like when a newbie comes in. This is well past the "general suggestions", it seems to me.

I have modded MMGs. They have a plasma TV in the middle. Their imaging is to-die-for. Their sound is so good that I can only go to 3.7s next. Then again, I am lucky that the room helped. I often listen to the 802D at my friend's home, and love their sound. Then I get home and listen to my MMG. Not even a hint of envy, ever.

In your case, however, whatever is holding back your 3.6s would likely affect 3.7s, as well. Like others here noted, it may even affect ANY good speaker. So, a group effort may help either way. If you are willing, many of us are, as always.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.